Interested in a new career? If so, it is important to take the time to evaluate your current situation, to explore career options and choose a career that will be satisfactory for you.
Ten Steps to a Successful Career Change
1. Evaluate your current job satisfaction. Keep a diary of daily, their work situation and for recurring themes reactions. What aspects of your current job you / dislike?
Their dissatisfaction with the content of your work your company culture or the people with whom you work together?
2. Evaluate identify your interests, values and skills that last through self-help resources such as What color is your parachute exercises. Verify successful roles, volunteer work, projects and jobs to preferred activities and skills. Whether their values and basic skills are covered in your current career.
3. Brainstorm ideas for career alternatives discuss your core / skills with friends, family, networking contacts and advisors values. Visit career libraries and online resources, such as those found in professional guidance section of the Web job search.
4. Perform a preliminary comparative evaluation of several fields to identify some goals for future research.
5. Read as much as you can about these areas and make personal contacts in the fields of information interviews.
6. professional shadow in the main areas of interest, observe firsthand the work.
Switch from hours to a few days Hospitations people who have jobs that interest you. His college career office is a good place to old volunteers who are willing to employment tail can be found.
7. Identify and volunteer activities to test your field independent Target your interest, for example, if you are thinking of publishing as a career related, try editing the PTA newsletter. If you are going to work with animals, volunteer at your local animal shelter.
8. studying the educational opportunities that your background to be able to fill your new field. Consider a course in the afternoon at a local university. Spend time in a few seminars one day or a weekend. Contact professional groups in your target field for suggestions.
9. Look for ways to get into your current work, for example, offer opens the way for a change to write new skills a funding proposal if grant writing to develop value in the new field. If your company offers in-house training , sign up for as many classes as possible.
10. See alternative within its current industry knowledge of the industry, which has, for example, if you own a business manger for a large retail chain and tired in the evening and on weekends, taking into account a motion is put to personal services companies in the retail industry. Or if you're a programmer who does not want to program, you should use the technical sales or project management.
Read more: What personality traits career?
Career Change Resources